Update: Assembly Could Act Soon on Redistricting
The General Assembly has set up a schedule that could result in passage of redistricting plans (including Congressional districts) as early as April 6.
Legislation may be introduced -- along with online public maps and details -- by March 29. That would give the public time to study the plans before joint House-Senate hearings are scheduled around the state on March 31 and April 2.
The General Assembly will convene a special session on redistricting Monday, April 4. That morning at 10 AM, there will be one final public hearing at 10 AM in the General Assembly Building in Richmond.
The timetable is subject to the Democrat-controlled Senate and Republican-controlled House of Delegates agreeing to each other's redistricting maps.
It is possible the Assembly will tackle the Congressional districts at the same time. Ten years ago, after the latest Census, the General Assembly passed House and Senate plans in April and put off drawing Congressional districts until the summer.
Redistricting legislation would require Gov. McDonnell's signature before it would be sent to the U.S. Justice Department for review under the Voting Rights Act.
The process will disrupt the General Assembly election schedule. Primary elections, which are normally held in June, will be held August 23. The general election will take place as schedule on November 8.
Anticipated Redistricting Timeline
Tuesday, March 22 - Reception at Library of Virginia to display winners of Student Competition
Thursday, March 24 - Meeting of McDonnell's Bipartisan Commission (State Capitol)
Tuesday, March 29 - Legislation introduced and made public online
Thursday, March 31 - Joint House-Senate Public Hearings:
- 7:00 p.m. in Hampton - Hampton University Student Center Ballroom (135 Marshall Ave., Hampton, VA 23668)
- 7:30 p.m. in Loudoun - Loudoun County Gov't Center Board Room (1 Harrison St. SE, 5th Floor, Leesburg, VA 20177)
- 7:30 p.m. in Roanoke - Roanoke Higher Education Center (108 North Jefferson St., Roanoke, VA 24016)
Saturday, April 2 - Joint House-Senate Public Hearings:
- 10:00 a.m. in Augusta County - August County Gov't Center Board Room (18 Government Center Lane, Verona, VA 24482)
- 10:30 a.m. in Fairfax County - Fairfax County Gov't Center Auditorium (12011Government Center, Rm. 208, Fairfax, VA 22035)
- 2:00 p.m. in Abingdon - Southwest VA Higher Education Center- Rooms 103-104 (One Partnership Circle, Abingdon, VA 24210)
- 7:00 p.m. in Danville- Regional Center for Advanced Technology and Training (121 Slayton Avenue, Danville, VA 24540)
Monday, April 4 - 10 a.m. in Richmond Joint Public Hearing - General Assembly Building
Noon - Special Session on Redistricting
Wednesday, April 6 - Reconvened Session