Update: Pro-Allen Super PAC gets $1M from Texan
Independence Virginia PAC disclosed Friday that its attacks on Democrat Tim Kaine have been underwritten largely by $1 million donated by Bob Perry, a Dallas homebuilder and leading financier of conservative causes.
Perry's donations -- four $250,000 checks written between mid-July and late-August -- accounted for the bulk of the $1,087,500 that Independence Virginia PAC reported in its third-quarter disclosure. Perry was one of the primary funders of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, an independent group that challenged John Kerry's military record during the 2004 presidential campaign.
This is not the first time Perry has interjected himself into Virginia politics. He donated $80,000 to Gov. Bob McDonnell's campaign in 2009 and later donated $125,000 to McDonnell's leadership PAC, Opportunity Virginia. Details here.
Independence Virginia was set up as an independent group to support Republican George Allen's bid to regain the Senate seat he lost in 2006. The PAC's independent expenditures can be found here.
Other third-quarter donors to Independence Virginia were:
- $25,000 - Gregory W. Fazakerley (The Plains)
- $25,000 - Dwight Schar (McLean)
- $10,000 - Foster Friess (Jackson, WY)
- $10,000 - John M. Jacquemin (McLean)
- $10,000 - Richard Sills (New York)
- $5,000 - United Refining Co (New York)
- $2,500 - John T. "Til" Hazel Jr. (Broad Run)
Meanwhile, a Super PAC -- New Virgina PAC -- set up to help elect Kaine reported it brought in $60,000 in the third quarter. The donors were:
- $50,000 - Edward Rice (Vienna)
- $5,000 - Larry Birenbaum (Saratoga, CA)
- $5,000 - Andrew Tobias (Miami, FL)