Virginia Giving to Presidential Candidates in January: $824,000
Individuals with a Virginia address gave $474,000 to Democratic presidential candidates in January, compared to $349,000 donated to Republican presidential candidates during the same time period.
The top five presidential fundraisers in January were:
- $291,209 - Clinton for President - Hillary (1,705 donations; average donation = $170)
- $169,320 - Sanders for President - Bernie (2,825 donations; average donation = $59)
- $107,996 - Rubio for President - Marco (390 donations; average donation = $276)
- $105,188 - Cruz for President - Ted (1,341 doantions; average donation = $78)
- $48,016 - Carson for President - Ben (814 donations; average donation = $58)
Republican Donald Trump, whose campaign is largely self-funded, reported 35 donations totaling $7,351.
VIEW ALL PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES
On the page above, click on any candidate to view an interactive map showing the geographic distribution around the state. Click on any region and see donations by ZIP Code.
COMPARE ANY TWO PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES
The presidential contributions data was provided by the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonprofit in Washington that tracks money in federal elections.
The maximum allowable donation from an individual to a presidential candidate is $2,700 for each election, or a total of $5,400 for primary and general elections.
Candidates are requried to identify only those donors who give more than $200. Small donors are listed in the data once their total giving to a candidate breaks the $200 threshold.
Feb. 26, 2016