VPAP is hiring!
Are you a data hound and a political junkie? Do you have experience in both data analysis and content creation? Do you want to be part of a pioneering effort to make politics more accessible to the public? If so, the Richmond-based Virginia Public Access Project (VPAP) nonprofit is looking for you.
This is a unique opportunity for someone to work on distilling complex government data into simple, elegant visualizations. We are looking for someone who has a deep understanding of politics and a willingness to set aside his or her personal views as part of a small team that is elevating civic discourse in Virginia.
- Acquire data from primary or secondary sources, organize, analyze and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets.
- Work with team to find creative approaches for data visualizations that make government and politics understandable to both insiders and the general public.
- Serve as the lead in daily importation, tagging and verification of data from various state agencies.
- Locate and define new process improvement opportunities.
- At least 2 years of experience as a data analyst, government analyst, data journalist or equivalent.
- A portfolio showcasing data visualization skills using Tableau, Power BI or other solution.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge of fundamental methodologies of data analysis, such as basic modeling and linear regression.
- Familiarity with relational databases, database design and query writing.
- Ability to define problems, collect data and draw conclusions.
- Ability to communicate effectively and establish rapport with small team.
- Familiarity with ArcGIS or other mapping programs.
- Understanding of the Virginia legislature and political system a plus.
Analytics, business intelligence, data visualization, Tableau, Power BI, SQL, GIS, predictive analysis, statistics, mapping, politics.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive salary. Benefits include 100% company payment of employee’s health and dental insurance, defined-contribution retirement plan with 4% company match, three weeks of vacation and company-provided parking near loft-style office in downtown Richmond.
Please email cover letter, resume and salary expectations to David Poole at email@example.com
Jan. 4, 2018