VPAP is Hiring!
CAREER OPPORTUNITY: NONPROFIT DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE
Are you passionate about politics, but discouraged by polarization? Do you have experience in campaigns, journalism or nonprofits and would you be energized by the chance to rally donors for a group with a 20-year record of uniting people form both parties?
The Virginia Public Access Project, a fiercely nonpartisan group dedicated to political transparency, is looking for a development associate to help us grow our resources and audience.
The Virginia Public Access Project
Since 1997, VPAP has elevated public understanding of Virginia politics by organizing data in ways that are easily accessible and free of partisan bias. Our website and data visualizations provide insights into campaign donations, the legislative process, election results and more. We also produce VaNews, a free daily aggregation service with 13,000 subscribers. Our annual operating budget is $1 million a year.
VPAP’s nonpartisan approach has won the trust and support of legislators, business leaders and individuals from across the political spectrum.
About the Position:
The Development Associate is a full-time, on-site position that reports to the Executive Director.
Become responsible for the development and implementation of a “small donor” program focusing on those who give less than $1,000 a year. You also will help support the Executive Director and the Major Gifts Officer. Your results will be tangible, highly visible and receive great recognition. Interact with people who make a difference in our state. An ability to empathize with donors from both political parties and clearly communicate our organization’s nonpartisan mission is key. You must have a passion for VPAP’s nonpartisan mission of greater political transparency. You’ll be expected to organize campaigns, persuade prospects and persevere to the end.
As our development associate, you get to
- Help our donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a relationship with our organization
- Oversee a portfolio of 350 small donors with the goal of raising $100,000 annually
- Nurture and deepen relationships with existing donors
- Assist with the identification and research of major donor prospects
- Manage ‘call time’ for the Executive Director
- Create and implement annual small donor development plan, including donor prospecting, solicitation and stewardship
- Write quarterly updates that keep donors informed about VPAP’s strategic goals and accomplishments
- Identify grant opportunities, write case statements and applications
- Maintain donor records and contact reports in order to build long-term relationships and ensure consistent, ongoing interactions
- Track and report progress and provide accurate metrics to the executive director and board
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in nonprofit development, political fundraising or sales
- Experience with SalesForce or similar customer relationship management application
- Exceptional writing, editing, and copy editing skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills, both in person and on phone
- Proven research abilities, including gathering and interpreting data; funder prospecting experience desirable
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include 100% company payment of employee’s health and dental insurance, defined-contribution retirement plan with 4% company match, three weeks’ vacation and company-provided parking space in downtown Richmond.
Prospective team members should send a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to email@example.com. Deadline: January 27.
Jan. 9, 2020