Civics Whiz: Interest Groups
What is an Interest Group?
In this activity, your student will learn about special interest groups and the role they play in Virginia politics.
How It Works:
- Head over to Youtube and watch this 2-minute video: What is an Interest Group?
- After watching, try answering the following questions:
- What interest group would you like to join? (For example, think of your favorite sport, your favorite food or a hobby you enjoy)
- What is the goal of your interest group?
- Can you think of other interest groups that would agree with your group? How could you work together?
- What other interest groups might work against your group? Can you think of a way to compromise so you can both get what you want?
- What are four examples of ways that your interest group can bring attention to their cause?
Want a printer-friendly version of this activity?
Did you try this activity with your child? Let us know how it went! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
March 27, 2020